The objective of establishing the Department shall be as follows:
- coordination of steps to ensure the personal safety and equal treatment of members of the JU community;
- providing support to victims of conduct that is discriminatory in nature or violates their personal safety.
The tasks of the Department include in particular:
- diagnosing the level of safety and equal treatment by:
- monitoring the situation in the scope of the safety and equal treatment of members of the JU community,
- conducting, in cooperation with other organizational units of the JU, cyclical surveys regarding the sense of safety and sense of discrimination among members of the JU community, with particular attention being paid to (doctoral) students (including JU halls of residence),
- analyzing the sense of safety and the scope of discrimination at the JU, including the occurrence of (petty) offences, as well as interventions by the police and other authorities responsible for maintaining safety and public order;
- taking preventive steps aimed at:
- conducting educational, information and promotional activity to ensure the personal safety and equal treatment of members of the JU community,
- promoting safe conduct and methods of avoiding risks or coping with them,
- issuing opinions regarding the safety of events applied for at the JU and activities organized by the JU;
- coordinating national and international cooperation in the scope of safety and equal treatment, including:
- as part of cooperation networks (e.g. AUCSO, The Guild) and participation in projects,
- with State authorities, municipal units and other external entities (including foreign entities) to ensure the safety of events and other activities organized on the JU premises;
- cooperation with the organizational units of the JU in the scope of developing the procedures and guidelines on how to proceed related to:
- the risk of (petty) offences being committed on the JU premises, including the issuing of opinions on procedures and guidelines developed by other organizational units of the JU,
- reacting to incidents constituting displays of discrimination against members of the JU community,
- implementing the principle of equal treatment in projects financed from external sources,
- carrying out practical checks of the organization and conditions of evacuation at the Jagiellonian University facilities;
- taking steps in connection with members of the JU community reporting violations of personal safety and principles of equal treatment; supporting victims, above all by providing information about the possibility of obtaining specialist help in a quick and effective manner.
To perform their tasks effectively, the Department staff are in particular entitled to:
- request the competent JU entities to commence an investigation procedure;
- call the police and other authorities responsible for maintaining safety and public order to enter the JU premises;
- notify the police and other authorities of suspected (petty) offences;
- request members of the JU community to provide the documents and information necessary to determine the circumstances of the case being examined;
- issue recommendations and guidelines on how to proceed in situations related to the personal safety and equal treatment of members of the JU community;
- prepare requests and proposed solutions to problems arising in connection with the risks and actual violations of safety, and submit them to the Chancellor of the JU.
The Chancellor of the JU may appoint for cooperation experts with specialist knowledge or experience in the field of safety and security, law, psychology, resocialization, sociology, countering discrimination, countering violence or in a different scope related to the activity of the Department of Security, Safety and Equal Treatment – Safe JU.